Homemade Remineralizing Toothpaste Recipe
Tuesday was a very sad day in our house. My daughter had a dentist appointment and this kid LOVES the dentist, so naturally, she was psyched. She’s previously had a perfect bill of oral health, but this visit didn’t go so well – she has THREE cavities! GASP! She cried. I told you, sad day.
No worries though, this mama has a plan! We are addressing some things in her diet that may help, we’ve added fermented cod liver oil to our routine, AND I made some remineralizing toothpaste to begin using. We plan to go back to the dentist in a few weeks for what’s hopefully a complete cavity recovery! I’ll keep you posted, but in the mean time, I wanted to share the toothpaste recipe with you all.
Remineralizing Toothpaste Recipe
- 5 tsp Calcium Carbonate Powder
- 2 tsp Baking Soda – I used Bob’s Red Mill brand because it’s aluminum free and very fine grain
- 3 tsp Xylitol Powder – helps with sweetening the mixture so it’s not so bitter
- 3-5 tsp Coconut Oil
- Optional: Essential Oil for flavor (peppermint, spearmint, orange, cinnamon are all good options) I used three drop of cinnamon this time.
- Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl or a mortar and pestle works well. If the xylitol is granulated, you may need to crush it into a fine powder so it mixes more thoroughly with the other ingredients.
- Add the coconut oil a little at a time until it is the desired consistency for your toothpaste. I found it helpful to partially melt the coconut oil before mixing so that it integrated with the powders more easily.
- Once the toothpaste is the consistency you prefer, add the essential oil(s) you’ve chosen.
- This recipe makes a small batch – I put mine into a 2-ounce squeeze bottle, but a small glass jar would work also. Simply dip a clean toothbrush into the mixture or scoop some out with a small spoon.
You could easily double or quadruple this recipe to make larger batches, but I prefer the smaller amount so we can swap flavors more often. Here’s to happy healing!
CallieNext Post Previous Post